Dog fed food laced with blades and needles

Poor Licky had to have an operation after eating food that had been laced with blades and needles.

Animal activist and police reservist, Irene McKenzie of the Centre for Animal Rehabilitation and Education (C.A.R.E) in Douglasdale shared her concerns on animal cruelty after a dog in Bloubosrand was fed food laced with blades and needles.

According to McKenzie, the dog belonged to Mr Ngwenya, a community member in Bloubosrand who shared his dog’s ordeal with Fourways Review.

“I gave my dogs dog pellets at around 7am like any other normal morning. Thirty minutes later, my two-year-old dog, Licky came into the house which he doesn’t normally do and I told him to go out,” Ngwenya said.

Ngwenya added that he followed his dog out of the house and saw that Licky had started to vomit. “When I looked at the vomit I noticed [strange food] and I proceeded to clean it and saw sausages that Licky vomited, which I didn’t feed him. That was when I realised that there were blades and needles inside the sausages,” he said.

When he noticed that his dog was getting weak, he took him to Blue Bush Animal Clinic in Bloubosrand.

The food that Licky the dog vomited contains blades and needles.

“Dr Shelagh Hahn told me that it was a good thing that Licky had vomited the laced food when he did, because if he had vomited the food an hour later, it could have been bad for my dog,” Ngwenya expressed.

He stated that he left the dog with Dr Hahn who conducted scans and performed an operation on Licky who was treated at the clinic for three days.

When asked if he had any idea why his dog was poisoned, Ngwenya said, “I suspect that my dog was targeted by criminals so that they can break into my house and I don’t know how they threw the food in as I have a high wall and a solid gate,” Ngwenya explained.

READ Jack Parow championing animal rights with Tekkie Tax

McKenzie concluded that poisoning or harming dogs or animals, or cruelty of any kind, was a cowardly thing to do and can lead to the most painful death for animals. “I know dogs get poisoned during the day, but I appeal to people to keep their dogs inside the house at night, as they should not die guarding your garden furniture,” she expressed.

Do you think animal cruelty is on the raise the area? Share your views on the Fourways Review Facebook page.

  AUTHOR
Masego Seemela
Journalist

find your
dream home

looking for an
affordable
apartment

List your Property

It's easy in only three
simple steps...

find professional
services in
your area

Locate a business
operating in
your area

List your Business

Want more customers? They're online right now, searching for businesses like yours. Place your ad now...

Latest News

COMMENTS

northeasterntribunemidrandreporterrosebankkillarneygazettesandtonchroniclealexnewscitybuzzgetitLeisure Optionslooklocal.co.zaAutodealer.co.za
Top
Next Story
Fourways Community Chamber of Commerce takes local businesses by storm

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

SUBSCRIBE
to our free NEWSLETTER
!
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.




SELECT your titles:

Alex News
City Buzz
Fourways Review
Joburg East Express
Midrand Reporter
North Eastern Tribune
Northcliff Melville Times
Randburg Sun
Roodepoort Northsider
Rosebank Killarney Gazette
Sandton Chronicle


Your details:


Your friends:

I didn't sign up for this
I'd like to see and read more... (Please indicate in comments section below)
I'm relocating (Please indicate where to)
Other