Two new cases of typhoid in Gauteng

Gauteng Department of Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu.


The new cases were confirmed on 25 January at the Dr George Mukhari Academic Hospital in the Tshwane district. A 38-year-old Zimbabwean female patient, who resides in Centurion, presented at the hospital on 21 January. According to the department’s statement, the patient who was referred from Centurion Clinic, had travelled home to Zimbabwe two weeks ago and had just returned to South Africa.

Read Four cases of Typhoid identified in Joburg

The department’s spokesperson Steve Mabona said it was initially suspected that the patient could be suffering from either cerebrospinal meningitis and/or cerebral malaria. However, malaria tests came back negative and, after further blood tests, the patient was diagnosed with typhoid fever. The woman is currently on antibiotics and appears to be fairly stable.

In the other case, it was revealed that a 27-year-old Zimbabwean female patient who has been staying in the country since 2012, presented to the hospital on 20 January, two days after her illness started. Blood tests were carried out on the same day of the woman’s admission and it was confirmed that she had typhoid fever. She is also on antibiotics. The woman currently resides in Soshanguve and her last visit to Zimbabwe was last year February.

It should be noted that there were no epidemiological linkages (geographical proximity) between the cases that have been identified so far.

Gauteng Department of Health MEC Qedani Mahlangu said it was encouraging that the two children, both girls, diagnosed with typhoid fever at the Edenvale District Hospital have since improved drastically. A 16-year-old girl who was admitted at the Charlotte Maxeke Academic Hospital with the illness was also doing remarkably well.

“Let us continue to wash our hands and food at all times,” said Mahlangu.

“Our Outbreak Response Team will be in force for the next few weeks and we are closely monitoring the situation, which is currently under control.”

Aphiwe Boyce
Metro Reporter

Latest News


Next Story x
UPDATE: Shebeen mother fails to appear in court