Councillor’s Corner: Spotlight on streetlights

This week’s question from Amy Ingram in Windsor East was:
How does one go about requesting streetlights? Some roads get very, very dark at night in Joburg.

Ward 134 councillor, Wendy Alexander, answered:
The installation of streetlights would be seen as a capital project within the City of Johannesburg. The City has just run its Integrated Development Plan (IDP) process, where residents were able to engage with the City regarding projects they would like to see within the suburbs. The IDP process is run annually.
I would encourage residents to share the date they applied for streetlights and the reference number with [ward councillors], to assist with the prioritising of new streetlight projects within their suburbs.
Residents can also log faulty streetlights by logging on to or by calling 0860 JOBURG (562 874).

Do you have a question for a ward councillor?
As a local newspaper, the Joburg East Express provides a platform for residents to learn about, understand and follow local government. As an extension of that, there is a weekly column called Councillor’s Corner which is a platform for you, our readers, to voice your concerns or questions for ward councillors to respond to.

Different, willing, ward councillors will respond to a question each week.

Email your burning question to [email protected] and let’s get the ball rolling.

Chantelle Fourie

Latest News


Recommended Story x
Councillor’s Corner: Cutting down trees

Thanx for your referral. We have no doubt your friends will love our newsletter as much as you!

Don't forget to verify your email.

to our FREE newsletter
SUBSCRIBE to our FREE newsletter.

SELECT your titles:

Alex News
City Buzz
Fourways Review
Joburg East Express
Midrand Reporter
North Eastern Tribune
Northcliff Melville Times
Randburg Sun
Roodepoort Northsider
Rosebank Killarney Gazette
Sandton Chronicle

Your details:

Your friends: