Douglasdale police together with members from other stations, which include Diepsloot, Florida, Roodepoort and Department of Community Safety, recently held a Crime Awareness Campaign at the Pipeline Informal Settlement in Kya Sand.
According to the head of communications for the Douglasdale Police Station, Captain MphoTshetlhane, the purpose of the campaign is to sensitise the community about sexual offences, rape and women and child abuse. “We remind women in the community to break the silence on abuse.”
Tshetlhane provided tips to follow in order not to become a rape victim:
- Don’t walk alone in the dark
- Open spaces are very dangerous to walk alone
- Partygoers are warned not to leave the party with people they do not know
- Do not visit shebeens or taverns alone
- Try to walk in streets that have lights on
- Do not accept gifts from strangers
- Report any suspicious character to the police
- Report rape incidents to the police immediately. Don’t change your clothes or wash yourself, after being raped.
What more can the police do? Share your views on the Fourways Review Facebook page.
Also check out: