The head spokesperson of Douglasdale Police Station, Captain Mpho Tshetlhane advised the community not to buy stolen goods from strangers.
“Community members need to see the importance of not buying stolen goods as this is also contributing to crime. Always remember to say ‘fighting crime begins with me’ and report all the criminal activities to the police by contacting the station,” Tshetlhane said.
She explained that goods were mostly conducted through theft out of the motor vehicle due to community member’s negligence.
This is why the spokesperson advised the community to always consider the following safety precautions when out shopping or at home:
- Make sure that your vehicle is locked at all times
- Make sure that you physically check that your vehicle is locked and the alarm activated
- Make sure that all your valuable items are locked in the boot of your vehicle
- Make sure when shopping in a mall that your vehicle is covered by CCTV cameras
- Make sure that all your valuable items such as your laptop, cell phone, Ipad or tablet and money are removed from your vehicle when parked at home, especially during the night.
Tshetlhane urged community members to report any suspicious activities or people in their neighbourhood.
Details: 011 699 1333; 08600 10111.
How is the level of crime in your area? Share your views on the Fourways Review Facebook page.